A Travellerspoint blog

Test Run

Decided to do an overnight test run to see if I had everything I needed for the long term. Drove out to Patapsco Park for the night. Milo was very excited to be back in a car!

Getting to the campsite was super easy. I did have some reservations of backing in the trailer, but managed it with only hopping out of the car twice to double check my wheel placement. I do feel a little badass at backing up a trailer by myself. The campground was quiet and was so nice to quietly set up camp. Knowing I was only going to spend one night, I decided against building a fire--that and it was a little (by my standards--others would say VERY) humid.

Decided to go ahead and cook dinner. It was a little after 5, but I didn't have a real lunch and was pretty hungry and tired. I spent the morning helping out a local group cleanup a watershed area. Getting out the camp stove (my mom's and its probably older than me), I followed all the directions to pump it up and light it. It lit quickly, but then went out. I checked everything and tried again. Again lit fine for about 5 seconds. Then the back end (near the entrance to the fuel line) caught on fire. I quickly pulled out the fuel source and the end of that was on fire. I won't lie, I thought I would possibly die right there if the fire backed into the tank. Thankfully was able to extinguish the fire quickly and opted to not use the stove. I had a backup single propane burner and used it for my simple fair of soup and grilled cheese. Well upscale simple..tomato basil bisque and habanero cheddar.


The rest of the evening was pretty uneventful. I spent a lot of the time organizing things to make sure I could access things easily. Meandered around the campsite some to stretch my legs and settled in for an early night. Milo does enjoy have a window at eye level again to look out (something he hasn't had in a few years).


By morning, I decided I needed to add a level of squish to the bed. I love a good firm mattress, but brand new thick foam mattress was a little to firm for me. Milo who has taken to sleeping in as he's gotten older, was awake bright and early.


I made coffee and relaxed outside until the family next to me decided 9am was the appropriate time to start loudly playing music. I'm a serene morning person. I don't want to talk or hear anyone else talk. I like to sip my coffee and watch the news or just stare into nothingness. But I know folks with kids live different lives, so I decided it was time to pack it up. Only made one small slip up and forgot to plug in my power cord for my brake lights. Realized it at the first traffic light and did a quick run out to fix it. Looking forward to the full trip soon!


Hope you enjoyed the view,

Posted by Oceansview 13:06

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.